Wednesday 25 September 2019

Gibside

My wife and I had a walk around the Gibside estate the other day. I wasn’t expecting to see much but when we got to the Octagon Pond and Lily Ponds there were still loads of Common Darter flying in tandem and laying eggs. They were too busy to settle so I did not get any shots. However, when we got to the river there was a couple of Hawkers and one of them was posing very nicely.

Female Southern Hawker





Migrant Hawker a tad too far away for any decent shots.

I wonder if it got its Abdomen damaged in skirmishes with other males.

Dipper


I cut the hedge the other day and this moth flew out. I think it might be a Brick
 

2 comments:

  1. Jealous of your fem. S Hawker shots Ron, haven't had a view of one like that in years. Your kinked Mig has probably been like that since emergence, some vegetation obstructing while it was still soft. I've seen some states over the years, they usually survive OK as long it's not the wings affected. Though don't know how it effects their ability to mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Alan. I have never seen a Southern Hawker that close before, it was right by the path and just stayed there. I had know idea that damaged could be caused like that when Dragonflies were emerging I just thought it had been fighting with other males.

    ReplyDelete