Wednesday 4 July 2018

Kibblesworth & Chester-le-Street

First, a walk around what some people are now calling Bowes Valley Nature Reserve (to me it is still Kibblesworth Brick Works) for dragonfly. At least four Emperor Dragonfly, a couple of Broad-bodied Chaser and quiet a few Four-spotted Chaser were seen along with numerous Damselflies. Next, it was Chester-le Street roundabout for White Letter Hairstreak unfortunately I did not see any. However at least four male and two female Banded Demoiselle were posing for photographs, as were the Burnet Moths.

Emperor Dragonfly



Broad-bodied Chaser

Small Tortoiseshell my first of the year

Male Banded Demoiselle




Female Banded Demoiselle


Mating Burnet Moth (I have not rotated this picture this is how it was)

Burnet Moth


Large Skipper & Hoverfly

Shaded Broad-bar Moth

Hoverfly

Small Skipper (at work) my first of the year

Comma (also at work) again my first of the year

Mottled Pug? (in the garden)

A Geometridae Moth I think (also in the garden)
 

2 comments:

  1. Kibblesworth can be confusing. It's one of those sites known by one name to locals and we who have been going for years, but if any newbie wants information on it they can only find it by looking up its official name of Bowes Valley NR. Nowadays I find myself using both names depending on who I'm talking to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ron,

    Have you ever considered sending your moth sightings the VC66 County Moth Recorder ?

    Your Geometridae is a Small Dusty Wave Idaea seriata and your Mottled Pug is in fact a Freyers Pug Eupithecia intricate. I am based in Chester le Street, you can email me anytime.

    ReplyDelete