Monday 5 August 2019

Gibside

I followed in Alan M’s (Whickham Wanderings) footsteps the other day and had a trip to Gibside in search of Purple Hairstreak butterflies. Unfortunately, I didn’t find any Hairstreak but I did find three different Holly Blue butterflies, which was a welcome surprise for me. The recent influx of Painted Lady butterflies has also reached Gibside quite a few were taking nectar from the flowers in the walled garden. Here are some of the images I got that day.

Holly Blue





Comma with a Marmalade Hoverfly

Comma with Bee


Painted Lady

Red Admiral

Green-veined White

Peacock

Small Tortoiseshell also with a Bee

Small White I think

A rather tatty Meadow Brown

Is this a Wainscot Moth?

Bee
 

2 comments:

  1. Unlucky Ron! I reckon the PH must have come in from the oak trees lining the avenue just over the wall, right time right place for me I guess. Excellent shots of the Holly Blues though, a butterfly I've seen fairly often this year but never close enough for a decent shot, they're a bit flighty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan. I know the spot you mean for the PH but I was just as you say unlucky on the day.

    ReplyDelete