Wednesday 21 August 2019

We had our annual…

…pilgrimage to Cragside for Black Darters last Monday. There were dozens of them flying, mating and laying eggs. However, the main attractions for me this year were the Hawkers it was a challenge trying to catch them in flight. Also out in good numbers were Emerald Damselflies.

Common Hawker







Female Common Hawker

Male Common Hawker

Mating pair of Common Hawker

Southern Hawker


Male Black Darter

This one was checking me out

Female Black Darter

Black Darters in Tandem


Mating pair


Female Common Darter

Emerald Damselfly
 

2 comments:

  1. Great set of shots Ron. Have just been up there today myself but weren't lucky with the weather. Much the same stuff there but not many photo opportunities. Still one of my favourite sites though, always guaranteed to see something, and seems to be getting more common hawkers every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Alan. It is a cracking little site. I thought when we first arrived I was going to be unlucky as the only dragon I found was a Common Darter then the sun came out and what a difference that made.

    ReplyDelete