Saturday 10 September 2022

There was slightly…

…more action along the lane at Far Pastures the other day than there was on the pond. Three Buzzards were flying above the fields and Swallows and Sand Martins were hawking across them. Dragonflies and Damselflies were skimming the pond and the resident Little Grebe showed well. I don’t know why but it is still canny to just sit for a couple of hours, at times just watching nothing but the pond. 

One of three Buzzards.


This is a biggish crop as it was too far away for anything decent.

As was this, what looks like, young one.

It was calling loudly.

And hovered a few times.

A rubbish picture of one of the Swallows hawking above the field. Not long now until they migrate to warmer climes.

A wasp enjoying the blackberries.

My first Migrant Hawker of the year. It hovered right in front of the hide and I managed to get onto it with the 500mm + 1.4 converter lens.

It then landed in front of the hide.

Little Grebe. I always take too many pictures of this bird.

One of a couple of Chiffchaff flitting around in the bushes next to the pond.

Emerald Damselfly, same lens.


2 comments:

  1. I really need to get back along to Far Pasture, haven't been for over two years. I always used to spend more time trapsing up and down the road than on the pond, though like you found, the hide is usually the best place to get pics of Migrant Hawker. Nice set as per usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Alan. You’re right there is normally more to see in the lane than there is on the pond although I can sit for ages in the hide. I always seem to get Migrant Hawkers here but I also like Shibdon Ponds for them although I don’t know what it will be like this year looking at how dried up it is.

    ReplyDelete