Thursday 15 September 2022

Twizell Ponds

 A cracking morning at the ponds in Twizell Woods a couple of days ago. Still loads of Dragonflies but the only Damselflies I saw were Emerald (no pictures). It’s always a challenge to try to photograph Dragonflies in flight and it doesn’t always come off as you can see with some of these images however, I love trying.

Southern Hawker.



This was the only Migrant Hawker I saw. It flew off after I managed to get this shot and I didn’t see it again.

Common Hawker.

This one liked this tree as it landed on here on a number of occasions.

Female ovipositing.

Mating Common Darter.

Three’s a crowd. A pair of Common Darter photobombed.

There were quite a few in tandem.

Another pair.

Common Darter in flight


Common Darter in flight

I like the way it turned its head to look at me.

Male posing.

Red-legged Shieldbug.


Final instar Bronze Shieldbug.

Leaf Hopper.

Speckled Wood Butterfly.

Two Speckled Wood Butterflies.

This Toadstool was on the opposite bank of the stream I was walking along and it must have been at least eight inches in height but unfortunately there is nothing to give it scale.


2 comments:

  1. Lovely set of dragonfly photos Ron, particularly like the Migrant Hawker, very atmospheric. Bronze nymph is final instar, you can see the wing buds, (those metalllic lobes either side of abdomen), always a sure sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correct ID on the Shieldbug Alan one of these days I will get it right.

    ReplyDelete