Sunday 16 October 2022

Twizell Wood

 My wife and I had a walk through Twizell Wood today and as it is late in the season for dragonflies it is probably the last time I will visit. We saw only two male Southern Hawkers but there were still quite a few Common Darters on the wing however I did not expect to see any butterflies but a late Comma showed briefly.

Southern Hawker hunting for lunch.

Southern Hawker eating lunch.


There was quite a stiff breeze and this Southern Hawker seemed to prefer to hunker down in the grass rather than fly around.



Male Common Darter. I did not see any females.

This Comma butterfly landed briefly on a tree unfortunately it was blown off by a gust of wind and I could not relocate it.

We saw three Curlew in a field on the way back to the car and I managed to get a couple of them in flight as the flew off.



No comments:

Post a Comment