Sunday 12 April 2020

Twitter

I have just read some comments on Twitter about the current situation regarding coronavirus and going for a walk. Someone said when he goes for a walk now he does not take his camera with him only his binoculars. Let’s see what essentially are binoculars oh yes they are a body containing a prism and some lenses. And what about a camera, essentially it is a body containing a prism and some lenses. Here are a couple of scenarios. A man goes for a walk with his binoculars observing social distancing etc he spots a bird, stops, lifts binoculars to his eyes, observers bird moves on. A man goes for a walk with his camera observing social distancing etc he spots a bird, stops, lifts camera to his eye, takes picture (at nine frames a second if necessary) moves on. Am I missing something here, what is the difference? The only difference I can see is the man with the binoculars goes away with memories the man with the camera goes away with an image. Where is the harm in that?

Hold on I can here you say, I’ll bet the man with the camera didn’t move on when he was photographing the Owls and you would be right. However let me put it into context. While I was out last night (I haven’t gone through the pictures yet) the nearest house was nearly half a mile away. I only saw two people both of whom were well within the government’s social distancing guidelines, and neither of them said “I hope I don’t catch coronavirus from you while I am out here” instead they both wished me luck when I told them what I was doing.

But it is not ethical, it goes against the sprit of the lockdown, its people like you who will get exercising stopped I can hear you shouting. It is about being safe and observing social distancing. Where am I more likely to catch coronavirus, outside virtually alone or in a supermarket shopping surrounded by dozens of people some of who haven’t a clue what social distancing means? I know where I would rather be.

I know what you are thinking “proper togger him” I hope I’m not, but at the end of all this madness I hope we can all be a little more tolerant but judging by some of the comments on Twitter ( and probably what you are thinking now) I very much doubt it.

6 comments:

  1. To put it in perspective Ron, Twitter is full of these 'holier than thou' judgemental arseholes who try to impose their opinion on everyone else, but personally I put up with it because it's basically my only contact with the outside world. When I go out now its usually with the family and I pack bins and camera in my backpack, look at stuff when I want, take photos when I want, but always respect the guidelines on distancing, sometimes having to wait until the coast is clear. In the valley I see people abusing the guidelines most days we're out, some blatantly so. Unlike most, our hobby is based on solitude, and is easily done within reason without abusing the privilege or infringing on anyone. All I say is, take no notice of the keyboard warriors, and certainly don't take it personally. Just because they air their views it doesn't mean they are right. Each to their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I’m not taking it personally; it certainly won’t stop me going for a walk or taking pictures when I’m out. As you say, it can be a solitary hobby, which is a benefit at times like this so as long as I respect all of the guidelines I can’t see it being a massive problem. By the way, do you do a Blog now I saw the last one was hacked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aye Ron, my whole online life was hacked so I took a break from it all for a few months. Then realised I'd permanently deleted all my blogs instead of just taking them offline by mistake, losing 10 years worth of notes and observations. I was a bit peeved to say the least. New blog now but its a bit mundane at the mo, here's a link to the most interesting post recently.
    adventuresinmacroland.blogspot.com/2020/04/the-emperors-old-clothes.html
    Cheers, and keep snapping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you were gutted. Sorry Alan but the link would not open. I will keep snapping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still am gutted Ron every time I think about it. Full title of blog is Adventures in Macroland - Through the Looking Glasses. Just google it, it comes up.
    Cheers for now.

    ReplyDelete