Saturday 11 July 2020

Twizell Woods Part 1

I normally go to Twizell Woods for Dragonflies (there will be some in the next Blog) but it is also great for other insects and here are some of them.

Mating Longhorn Beetles


Longhorn Beetle



Emerging Shield Bug

Forest Shield Bug

I’m not sure what type of fly this is


Volucella pellucens

Caught one of the above in flight



Fly

Eristalis horticola?

Comma Butterfly

Small Skipper Butterfly

Straw Dot Moth

Carder Bee?

This was one soggy Bee after it was caught in a rain shower

Bug
 

2 comments:

  1. Shield Bug is a Forest Bug Ron, here's a link for Shield Bug ID https://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/idcards/life_stages.html click on the illustations for photos of the species.
    Good set of macro pics btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Alan I had a look in my insect book and it looked like a Sloe Bug to me. I will have a look at that web site and try and swat up a bit.

    ReplyDelete