Tuesday 21 September 2021

Twizell Woods and Shibdon Ponds

 Over the last week or so, I’ve been to Twizell Woods and Shibdon Ponds for dragonflies and neither site disappointed. Southern, Migrant and Common Hawkers were found at Twizell and Shibdon, as it always does, delivered Migrant Hawker. The only disappointment at Twizell was I was unable to find any Black Darters which have recently been spotted there.

Southern Hawker

Common Hawker



First time in a long while that I have managed to get a Common Hawker to “pose” for me.


Female Migrant Hawker egg laying.


Southern Hawker


Common Darter

Southern Hawker


This time a Southern Hawker “posing”.


Mating Common Darter.

Southern Hawker


Migrant Hawker at Shibdon Ponds.




A young Newt near one of the ponds at Twizell.

It wasn’t only Dragonflies that I saw at Twizell here is a poor record shot of a Kingfisher perching over the stream that runs through the wood.

An even poorer shot of a Buzzard that was in one of the trees. I had to focus on its tail feathers to get the shot.

And a poorer still shot of a Great-spotted Woodpecker doing its best to hide.


No comments:

Post a Comment