Wednesday 12 April 2023

Gibside

 At the end of last month (I’m way behind again) my wife and I had a short walk around Gibside. We have been members of the National Trust for years but don’t use our passes as often as we used to (we will have to put that right). We only went as far as the bird hide but as there was nothing there, we came back to the Octagon Pond. It was fascinating to watch the antics of the Little Grebe and Coots chasing each other around so we were there a while.

The first bird we saw was a Buzzard.

This Little Grebe was after something.

It was another Little Grebe.

Having a shake down.

Then back to calmly swimming about.

We got caught in a downpour however we were standing under a tree so we remained reasonably dry. It didn’t stop the birds doing what they were doing.




I haven’t a clue what this one has dug up from the bottom off the pond.

Little Grebe sitting on a nest they have built which is quite close to the edge of the pond.

The Grebe stood up briefly and I could see at least two eggs in the nest (they probably have chicks by now). I was standing behind the fence which is around the pond and using a 500mm lens so as not to disturb the birds. 

Coot in what I call stealth mode.

Like the Grebes they were chasing each other around having territorial disputes.









Back into stealth mode


No comments:

Post a Comment