Tuesday 21 February 2023

Sticks

 It must be getting on for a couple of years ago that I posted some of the sticks I make. I am still making them and still learning. Here are a few recent and not so recent sticks that I have made.

If I remember rightly the handle on this stick is made of Oak and the shaft is Hazel.

This handle is London Plane and Hazel shaft.

This one is for ornamental use only as the handle, made of Ivy, has cracks in it. The shaft on this one is Dog Rose.

Handle of Beech shaft of Hazel.

A Yew handle and Hazel shaft.

This is the stick I use when I am out for a walk. The handle is Spalted Beech with a Hazel shaft.

This one is Buffalo Horn and Hazel shaft.

Another Yew handle but this time on a twisted Ash shaft.

Golf, along with football, was banned in Scotland in 1457 and again in 1471 and 1491. The Church of Scotland also discouraged the game of golf on a Sunday. To get around this men would carry wooden sticks when out walking which could then be turned upside down to be used as a golf club. This is my interpretation of a “Sunday Stick” as they were sometimes known. The handle is Mahogany the shaft Hazel.

I have just given this Beech handled stick to a friend who has taken it for its first walk today.


2 comments: