Monday 11 September 2023

Harpley Garden Centre…

 …is a cracking place for dragonflies (sometimes) and a cup of coffee (the scones are canny too). It overlooks a large pond and there are tables where you can sit with your coffee and watch for dragonflies. My wife and I have been a couple of times over the last few days. The first time we saw quite a few dragonfly the day after not so many but it’s always worth a look. If there aren’t any dragonflies there’s always the Swallows and House Martins to keep you entertained.

A pair of Migrant Hawker.

Same pair different leaf.

Just out of the wheel.

Male Migrant Hawker in flight.


He posed quite nicely however I didn’t get a shot of the female by its self.




Southern Hawker.


A pair of Common Darter. 

Same pair and he looks as though he has a smile on his face.

A different pair of Common Darter.

Male Common Darter.




Female Common Darter.

Alder leaf beetle.

I’m not sure what this is but it landed in front of me so I grabbed a few shots.

It might not be the best you have seen but this is the shot I have always wanted to get. A Swallow skimming the water while drinking.

Swallow just after plunging into the pond.

A short sequence of a Swallow being followed by a House Martin.



Another Swallow leaving the water.

While this one glides over it.

Swallow coming from a bank of reeds.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to catch the Red Arrows flying over our village after they had finished doing there first display over the Tyne Bridge for the Great North Run.


4 comments:

  1. Looks like a cracking place Ron, dragonflies, coffee and scones, what more could you ask for. Lovely shots as well. Is your mystery insect not a caddis Fly of some sort, hard to tell from the angle, Worth noting that the blue Alder beetle is main prey species for Blue Shieldbugs, if you see a few together it's worth a second look, as they look like the beetles but fatter! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Alan I it’s a canny café and if you are into plants the garden centre is canny too. I didn’t know about the Alder Beetle and Blue Shieldbug but I will keep an eye out for them from now on. I did wonder about the insect being a Caddis Fly but after looking in my books I still wasn’t sure and as you say hard to tell from the angle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cinnamon Sedge species of Northern Caddisfly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info Michael and hope you are well. As I said I thought Caddisfly but wasn't sure.

    ReplyDelete