Thursday 19 August 2021

Bempton Cliffs

 

It’s a fortnight ago since I went to Bempton Cliffs to see “Albert” the Black-browed Albatross. I arrived at 6am and left at 5pm in those eleven hours I stood in the same spot (I probably moved less than a meter) on Staple Newk, the best vantage point (or so I was told) to see “Albert”. However, in those eleven hours “Albert” did not show once but I did get some images of the other birds that adorn those cliffs.

Thousands of Gannets nest on the cliffs each year.

This one is coming in to land.


Love is in the air



But there are also battles going on both on the cliffs.


And in the sea.



I like the way this young Gannet is checking out the assembled crowd.


A near miss.

We were lucky this wasn’t any closer to us.

This youngster wants to be fed.

Hovering just above the cliff.

Kittiwake also nest on the cliffs. This youngster is using the wind to slow it down before it lands on the cliff.


I think the markings on the young birds look great.


An adult Kittiwake calling.

Fulmar use the thermals to glide over the cliffs.


A flyby by a Peregrine.

With all of the birds around there are bound to be feathers, I couldn’t resist.


No comments:

Post a Comment