Monday 8 August 2022

Isle of Mull part eight

 Told you there would be a lot of Blogs but don’t worry this is the penultimate and it’s White-tailed Eagle again. When I put my Blogs together, I sometimes group the images in a certain way (all one species together for example) however these images are shown in the order they were taken.

Adult birds calling to each other and probably to the juveniles in the nest.

Most of the time they were too far away for any decent images but they did on occasions, come close. 


The previous two images are of the Eagle going on what turned out to be a hunting trip as not long after it flew off it came back carrying what looks like a gosling.

The local Buzzard did not like the Eagles flying over its territory and every time they came close the Buzzard would try and chase them off. The Eagles of course did not take a blind bit of notice and did it regularly. This is one of those encounters.



After these encounters the Eagles would fly back to their favourite tree and just sit.


We were parked not far from Loch Don waiting for a Hen Harrier to put in an appearance when this Eagle landed nearby. A second flew over coming from the same direction as the first. Loch Don is not far from where we were staying, I wondered at the time could these be the same Eagles that we could see from the cottage.



One of the adults was sitting in its tree sunning itself when this happened

A juvenile, the first time I had seen one, flew in to take over the adults favourite branch.

 It just sat there surveying the world around it.


However, the adult had flown off to hunt. It came back with another gosling.


Friday and our penultimate day on Mull and one of the Eagles decided to fly right over my head. It’s as if it knew that we were leaving and decided to put on one last show and I’m pleased it did.


3 comments:

  1. Some lovely photos of those eagles, Ron, especially the encounter with the buzzard. On my shot of the eagle with the goose in its grip, I can read the ring number on its leg. I made an enquiry to the RSPB office for Mull and found out it was ringed near the golf club in 2008! 14 years old and male. No name given but we could call it George if you like? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Barry. I could read the same number on one of my shots and I was going to get onto the bird ringers from I think it is Scots nature or something like that but I never got round to it. George seems to be a canny name for it so we will go for that :-)

    ReplyDelete