Sunday 21 August 2022

Brasside Ponds

 A place I’d never heard of until CB posted some images of Small Red-eyed Damselfly (something I have never seen) he’d taken there. I Googled it and found out it wasn’t too far away so my wife and I decided to pay a visit. There were loads of Damselflies skimming over the pond but I can’t be sure any were Small Red-eyed Damsels. However, I did manage a great consolation prize. Now I know where the ponds are I will be back next year to hopefully get to Damsels I’m after.

I may not have seen any Small Red-eyed Damsels but I will definitely make do with this Lesser Emperor Dragonfly. It might not be the best picture you’re likely to see of one, but it’s the first I have seen (thanks Alan for confirming what I thought it was and thanks to my wife for pointing out, in her words, "a large Dragonfly” flying over the pond). 

Common Blue Damselfly.

Blue-tailed Damselfly.

Teneral Blue-tailed Damselfly?

Female Blue-tailed?

I spent ages trying to get flight shots of the Sand Martins flying around the pond. I only had a 300mm lens with me so these images are all big crops.





Cormorant sunning its self.

Two flies I have yet to identify.

And I haven’t a clue what this is.

Hoverfly hovering.


2 comments:

  1. Again, nice one with the Lesser Emperor Ron (or should I be congratulating Mrs Ron? :-). The Blue-tailed damsel females are a confusing lot, with 5 named types (some of which have recently had their names changed just to confuse things further) including immatures, those you've photographed I believe are now known as rufescens-obsoleta, the immature stage of infuscans, noted for having a dull orange/brown tail segment which is blue on other forms. Phew!
    Another interesting dragon you got I've commented on Mull six, don't know if you saw it or not. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey it is getting confusing but thanks for the info. If it hadn’t been for my wife, I wouldn’t have bothered taking the shot of the Lesser as it was, I thought, too far away I’m pleased I did. I will have a look at Mull 6 because I don’t think I have seen the comment. Oh, and by the way have you taken your blog down as I don’t seem to be able to get on.

    ReplyDelete