Thursday 27 June 2024

Holiday day five part two

 One of the reasons we went to the Cotswolds was to see Dragonflies and Damselflies we don’t see “up north.” One of the places I was hoping to see them was Radley Lakes the other was Orchard Lake. Unfortunately, I saw only one that we don’t see “up north”, a Downy Emerald, I was hoping for more but you never know there is always next time.

Downy Emerald a first for me.


Red-eyed Damselfly in tandem.


Male Red-eyed Damselfly.

A male taking a ride on a leaf.

A tandem pair with the female about to lay eggs.

Laying eggs.

A couple of male Red-eyed Damselflies.

Male Broad-bodied Chaser.

Female Broad-bodied Chaser.

Four-spotted Chaser.

Four-spotted Chaser hovering.

A tandem pair of Azure Damselflies.

An immature Common Blue Damselfly.


4 comments:

  1. Great shots of the Downy Emerald, that's one I've not yet seen, we're always down south too late for the early dragons. Was gonna say we don't get Red-eyed damsels up north either but I see there have been sightings in the south of the county, good shots as well. The only other one I could have helped with had I known you were heading down there would have been White-legged damsel, I had them at a couple of sites. I'll bet you tried for Club-tailed, had no luck with those but like I say we're always a bit late in the season for them but would love to see one. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Alan. I’ve had one Red-eyed Damselfly at that nature reserve near Franklin Prison a few years back. I tried a couple of sites for both White Legged and Club Tail but with no luck at either. I think the weather had a lot to do with it however other people were getting them while we were down there so they were around I was just unlucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the damsels at Brasside Pond are Small Red-eyed, a different species Ron. The weather was a big spoiler when we were away in Derbyshire, hardly a dragon to be seen, though I did see a few of my target species (Hairy Dragonfly) but none close enough to photograph, but like yourself, I prefer to look at it philosophically, enjoy the moment and think 'there's always next time.' Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Alan. Because I couldn’t find an image (probably didn’t get a picture of one at the time) of the Small Red-eyed Damselfly in my folders I had totally forgotten I had seen a different species I just thought to myself Red-eyed and that was it. Your right it is best to think “there is always next time.”

    ReplyDelete