Tuesday 11 June 2024

Holidays day one part one

 As I said in my last Blog we have just got back from a week in the Cotswolds. It’s a great place to visit but like any tourist area it can get quite busy so we mainly went to see the wildlife. I was slightly disappointed that we didn’t see the Shieldbugs and Dragonfly that I was hoping for however I’m still pleased with what I saw and photographed. The morning of day one was spent at Otmoor and a road side verge at Hook Norton the afternoon was spent in the garden of the cottage we were staying in.

I’m not sure what this Red Kite has in its Talons.


A quizzical House Martin wondering what I am.

Swift coming straight at me.

A swift catching flies.

Swift about to do what comes naturally.


Another one catching flies.

This one has what looks like a white feather on its head.

A distant Cuckoo.

And a distant Peregrine.

My first Doc Bug.

A mating pair.


My first Woundwort Shieldbug.


I’m not sure what Bug this is. At first, I thought it was an early instar Shieldbug but it doesn’t look like any I have looked at.

Hairy Shieldbug.

Common Green Shieldbug.


2 comments:

  1. Not a bad start, Dock Bug and Woundwort Bugs are great, amazing how common they are down south yet a mega find up here, and having them in your own garden means you can fill your boots with shots. The bug nymph is likely some sort of plant bug but I'd ask Rockwolf on twitter if you want the species. Looks like a white rat the Kite has. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Alan. I thought it was a white Rat and one of the volunteer ranges at Otmoor did say they were putting out mice for the Kites to feed on apparently it was to protect the Redshank chicks as they were being taken by the Kites.

    ReplyDelete