Tuesday 27 July 2021

Two Quarries

 

My wife and I had a trip to Bishop Middleham and Wingate quarries on the 16th (she preferred the latter) primarily for the Marbled White butterflies at Wingate. The weather was hot and sunny and the butterflies were reluctant to settle, the ones that did were mainly female. I knew it was late in the season but I still wanted to see if there were any Northern and Brown Argus at Bishop Middleham quarry. There were a few still around as you can see below however if I have the identification wrong, please let me know.

Female Marbled White butterfly

Male Marbled White

Female Marbled White butterfly

Male Marbled White

Small Heath butterfly

How this snail got into this position on this slender bit of grass I will never know.

Looking at the markings on the underside of the wing I think this is a Northern Brown Argus.


Once again looking at the markings this is a Brown Argus and it appears to be laying eggs. As I mentioned in a previous Blog I was speaking to a man about these butterflies and this seems to go against what he said.

Is the fly checking out the Speckled Wood butterfly or is it the other way around?

Six-spot Burnet Moth.

When we were kids, we called these Hairy Caterpillars.


No comments:

Post a Comment