Sunday 24 April 2022

Twizell Wood

 My first visit to Twizell Wood this year on the 19th in the hope of finding my first Damselfly of the season, the Large Red. Unfortunately, it may have been a bit early for them up here as there were none about. However, I did get a few firsts with Orange-tip, Speckled Wood, Green-veined White and Large White Butterflies. Most numerous were the Bee-fly I have never seen as many in one place. All in all, a canny morning out.

Orange-tip Butterfly on a Bluebell.

I followed this Orange-tip and as the sun went briefly behind a cloud it landed, closed its wings…

…and waited until the sun came out again.

Speckled Wood Butterfly.

Green-veined White Butterfly.


It might be a bit early but I think this is a Large White Butterfly. If it is, it was the only one I saw. 

Peacock Butterfly.

Comma Butterfly.

Mating Bee-fly.

A couple of Bee-fly.

They were everywhere.

Here is one with an Eristalis sp. Hoverfly.

Syrphus sp. of Hoverfly.

A Wasp gathering wood presumably to make a nest.

Another species of Hoverfly.

A couple of Spiders.

And I could not resist a picture of the Bluebells.


No comments:

Post a Comment