Tuesday 1 June 2021

No feathers or fur.

 We have just got back home from a week in Scotland and I am still going through the pictures I took while there so it may be a while before I can post them. In the mean time, here are some from a couple of walks from home.

I had the moth trap out a couple of times in Scotland and a couple of times at home and this Small Phoenix is the only moth I have had in the trap and that was at home.


This Garden Carpet flew into the garage while I was working.


A Small Yellow Underwing.


There is a Mother Shipton moth in there honest.


A Silver Ground Carpet.


Another Small Phoenix.


Green Longhorn Moth.


Nematopogon Sp. I think.


Gorse Shieldbug.


My first Small Copper Butterfly of the year.


My second in the same place a day later.


A worn female Orangetip Butterfly.


Mating Cranefly.


Could this be a Weevil?


A ménage a trois of Nettle Weevils (cheers Alan).


Coelichneuon Sp.?


An Ant.


I’m not good at identifying Bees.


Mating St. Mark’s fly.


Soldier Beetle.


Spider with a Leaf Hopper for lunch.


A small Bee or Wasp on a Poppy.




5 comments:

  1. Hi Ron, hope you had a good holiday, thought you must've been away when the posts on the blog suddenly stopped. Can I ask where you got the Mother Shipton? It's one I want to see if pos. ta. And your leaf-hoppers I believe are Nettle Weevils, though can't tell if the one you ask is a weevil is or not without seeing its snout. I'm not much good with bees either. Mothing has been very poor this year so far with the cold nights in April and cold and wet May, there's not much about anywhere. Nice set of pics all the same, Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Alan we had a canny time away. I saw the Mother Shipton in a meadow not far from the Hobson golf course. I went back the other day but no sign of it or indeed much else. Thanks for the ID on the Weevils its not only Bees I’m no good at. I have had the moth trap out again a couple of times and the most I had one night was four, I hope it picks up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are up for a short walk I can show you where I found it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ron, thanks for the offer. I've got a couple of potential sites to check out so it's just good to know they're out there locally, now I'm just looking to squeeze an opportunity to get out, as the County Recorder says early June is the best time.

      Delete
  4. No problem, if I see any when I’m out and about I’ll let you know..

    ReplyDelete